Wednesday, January 2, 2008

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune yesterday about a current PCV in Kenya who came home for the holidays and is heading back to Nairobi in the middle of the riots that have been going on as a result of the recent election. Scary stuff. At the time of the article she said the PC hadn't told her not to come back, but it's hard to imagine that if the riots continue they'll allow her to go back, and I have to believe that any PCV's who were supposed to go to Kenya over the next couple months will be delayed. Makes me glad that's not where I'm headed. I suppose it comes with being part of the western world, but I'm continually baffled by stories like this, and by how often they happen. No American goes to bed at night wondering if , when they wake up tomorrow, there will be a totally different government in place, or if after an election the losing party will go on a killing spree. Here's a good article on the situation, link courtesy of my new favorite website, current.com. I discovered it this week as a result of Current TV's Radiohead "In Rainbows" broadcast. Up until last week I was not aware we even had such a channel. Gotta love Dish Network.
On a lighter note, New Year's Day football had its good and bad. Michigan won their bowl game for the first time in five years, sending Lloyd Carr out with a win. It would have been nice if they'd have played like that against Appalachian St. though. Anyway the new coach starts today, which means they'll probably win at least one national championship while I'm in Africa. As to my beloved alma mater, well, they had a good run. It just came to an abrupt end against USC. They were boys playing men. But the future of Illinois football looks bright for the first time in a while. Now if only Ohio State can lost the Nat'l Championship game...

No comments: