Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My brother left to go back to school yesterday, which probably was the last time I'll see him before I leave. Our highly emotional goodbye went something like this:
"Ok I'm going to bed."
"Cool. See you at my college graduation."
"OK don't get married before I come home."
"OK"

Only 13 work days and 23 actual days until my last day of work. Not that I'm counting or anything. Most of the people at work who know me know what my plans are by now, which makes for some awkward conversation. Reminds me of when I was going to Australia, the several conversations that went something like this:
"So, Tanzania, huh? Gonna go to Africa, climb Kilimanjaro?"
(Swing! and a miss)
"Actually it's Tasmania, the island south of Australia."
"Oh"
(Uncomfortable pause)
At that point they'd say something about Tasmanian Devils or how toilets spin the other way down there when you flush them, and I'd change the subject. Some people I work with are actually interested and have asked some good questions. One lady I worked with mentioned that she had seen on the news what's going on in Kenya. It would be nice to know that me going to Africa made someone a little more conscious of what's going on in the world, outside of Illinois and America.

No comments: