Thursday, January 10, 2008

I just watched Apocalypse Now for the first time. What a great movie. I've tried to read Heart of Darkness twice in the past, both times for school, and I didn't finish it either time cause I thought it sucked. But after watching this movie I wanna try it again, and this time I may actually get it. There's just something about the dark and depraved themes of this story that didn't come across to me while I was reading the book, but when seeing Col. Kurtz in the movie it was like being hit by a sack of bricks. Plus I figure if I'm going to Africa for two years I should read what's generally considered the landmark English-Language book about my future home.

I'm getting really excited for Seattle. On Sat. night while I'm there I'm meeting up with three other people I'm going to Africa with, and we're going to an Ethiopian restaurant. Should be fun.

I caught this pod on Current TV today. It's about a soldier who was one of the first to go into Iraq, and for the last few years he's been battling Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. It's a pretty chilling reminder that, no how matter you feel about the war, it can't be denied that war is an awful thing that has the power to destroy countless people, no matter what side they are fighting on. It's a scary thought that this guy who is 25 already has this baggage that he'll carry around for the rest of his life. I think what scares me most about this is the idea that maybe this is all happening in an unjust war fought under false pretenses. Please understand I don't mean to cheapen in any way what the troops are doing and going through. I've never fought in battle and I certainly don't pretend to understand what it's like, but wouldn't it be awful if all of this was happening because our government lied to us? For a president that talks an awful lot about supporting the troops, sending them off to fight an unjust war based on lies sure doesn't sound like support.

No comments: