Friday, February 1, 2008

My last day of work was yesterday. It was actually really good. A lot of well wishers and people asking questions. I can't say I really liked my job there, but I did work with a lot of people I liked, and I'll miss them. I hope that from now on when they hear the phrase Peace Corps they'll have a face to put with it and maybe a bit more understanding of what it's all about. That being said, I'm really glad to be done. Now it's time to see friends one last time, go to Seattle, see Wilco and try and get ready for everything. I just ordered a pair of Chacos, which are great sandals. I already have a pair, but they give a 50 percent discount to PCV's so I couldn't resist.

A guy I'm going to Zambia with posted this link from the NY Times. Basically it's about how new drugs and mosquito nets are making a significant difference in the fight against malaria. While this all should have happened a long time ago (seriously why didn't we decide to start passing out nets in earnest 15 years ago?) it's nice to see that for once something is actually going right. Malaria is a huge problem in Zambia which is really sad considering its pretty preventable and very treatable, but many people in third world countries still die from it. If, as this article says, the burden of Malaria can be reduced 80 to 85 percent in the next 5 years in Africa, that would be one less battle Africans have to fight. As someone who is about to spend two years in Africa working to, in some way, improve the quality of life there this is a big encouragement.

No comments: