Monday, February 18, 2008

I indulged myself in one last grand finale concert for two years. I saw Wilco, one of my favorite bands, in Chicago on Saturday night. If any concert could hold me over for two years, this was the one. They played over 30 songs and for almost three hours. It was the third time I've seen them, and this was the best. I was gonna take pictures, but I knew if I did I'd spend too much time taking pictures and not enough enjoying the music, so I did that instead. I had a Ricobene's breaded steak sandwich for the last time for a while, and got to Springfield around 4:30 am. I crashed with Stew and went to church with him, then said goodbye and finally made it home after a 22 hour epic concert trip.
Since then I've been running around doing things I've been putting off. It's Monday night, I haven't packed yet, I leave Wednesday, but all my errand running is done, so tomorrow can be exclusively devoted to packing. Some friends of the family are coming over for dinner tomorrow night, which will be nice.
Tonight the Presbyterian Church in town had a talk given by three RPCV's and one former PC staff. It was a couple who met while serving in Azerbaijan, and a girl who served in Ukraine and the Language instructor who she married. I must confess I wondered how worth my time it would be, but I had to give it a shot, plus it was a way to put off packing a little longer. It was great. The presentation they made was a little more geared toward the culture of the two countries they served in as opposed to the Peace Corps itself, but I still learned a lot. My mom came with me, and afterwards we started talking to some people, and naturally it came out that I'm going into the PC, and we ended up talking to the parents of one of the girls who presented and well as a couple who's son in in Botswana right now. I got to talk to one of the girls who presented and it was really encouraging and great to hear what she had to say. I think it was also good for my mom to talk to people who are going through the same think she's headed into.

No comments: