Saturday, February 2, 2008

I love Super Bowl Sunday. Most people would tell you that it has gotten way out of control, that the pregames are too long, that we hear way too much about the game for the two weeks leading up to it, the game itself is way too long and nobody cares about it. While I agree that we don't need a two week gap between conference championships and the big game, come Sunday I can't get enough. I want it all. I wanna watch all ten hours of pre-game. I wanna know every story about every player on every team. The third string corner back who started an inner city sports camp for children. The halfback who's cousin is the opposing team's strong safety. The defensive lineman who overcame all sorts of obstacles growing up to play pro football and is now patching up his relationship up with his estranged dad. I wanna hear every NFL analyst in America break down every possible aspect of this game at least twice. I wanna watch every minute of the game. I wanna watch all the commercials. I wanna watch the halftime show (Tom Petty should be good, certainly can't be worse than any of the crapfests MTV used to put together). And I wanna watch the four hours of postgame coverage when it's over. This will be the last game of football I get to see for a few years (though hopefully my sweet new shortwave radio will bring me a few broadcasts of important football games while I'm gone) and I wanna enjoy it as much as I can, and hopefully it's a good game, or a Pats blowout.

No comments: