Monday, February 16, 2009

And now we come to the end. I'm in an internet cafe in Stone town, about 5 hours away from our ferry departing the island for Dar Es Salaam. It's been quite a week. The music fest was a lot of fun. I must admit I was afraid that it was going to be like three days of bad reggae music or something like that, and while there was a little of that the music was actually really good. They brought in traditional African world music type acts from all over the continent. The festival was held in a fort, and it was one of the coolest venues I've ever heard live music in. We usually would eat dinner and then get to the festival around 8 or 9 just as things were picking up steam. There were about 40 volunteers from Zambia at the festival so every night turned basically turned into our own little dance party. While world music isn't really my thing it was hard not to have a good time and I'm definitely glad I came. It's time to get out of here though. I've had a blast but this vacation has run it's course (I mean that in a good way) and it's time to get back to the village and sleep for like a week.

No comments: