Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I've mentioned on this blog before my disappointment at having to miss so many of my friends weddings while I'm here in Zambia. Matter of fact I believe there's one this weekend (hope it goes well Chris and Melissa, wish I could be there). Now of course it's not that I don't love these people enough to be at their wedding, it's just not feasible. But there's one wedding I will not miss.
Last Sunday I was hanging out in my hut, listening to the news on my shortwave radio about to go to bed at all of 8 pm when I get a phone call from the states. That's usually the time mom and dad call so I assumed it was them only to be surprised to pick up and find my brother on the line. Why? Because he wanted to inform me that he had just become engaged. It was a phone call I had been expecting for a while, but it's still a pretty significant occurrence when you find out your brother is getting married. They had not set a date yet when we spoke, and I believe they have by now, and I'm not sure what it is, but I think it's next summer, which means Derek is coming home for a while next summer.
I'm so excited. When I tell my friends here that my brother is engaged and they ask how old he is and I say 20, usually a look of surprise follows. For the average Peace Corps Volunteer (including myself) marriage is a long way off, and we're all at least 23 or 24, so a 20 year old getting married can sound slightly crazy. but talking to Brendan last week it was more than obvious that he's ready to get married, and I can't wait to be there for it.

No comments: