Sunday, April 6, 2008

I've decided that I don't really like doing these posts. It's hard. you sit down at a computer for the first time in a week or two and you have a ton of crap you wanna talk about but if I really wrote all that stuff my head would explode. I'm gonna keep blogging but consider that an apology if these entries sound confusing, forced, trite, etc.
I just got back from second site visit. Last Sunday the two other health volunteers staying in Lusaka province and myself went to stay with Keli, an education volunteer working in the town of Luwimba. We spent three days there and the volunteer who will be working there, Ruben, got to meet his clinic staff and stuff like that. Thursday we went into Lusaka to try to open a bank account (didn't happen) then headed east to the town of Chimusanyu to stay with Eric, another education volunteer in Lusaka province. On Friday I got to visit Lukwipa, the village I'll be working in. It was awesome. It's in a valley in the middle of these gorgeous mountains. I met the staff of my clinic and I was very impressed. The clinic is very well organized and seems to be pretty effective at meeting the health needs of the community. My house is not built yet, but they showed me where it will be, and its in a great spot close to everything I need to be close to, like the clinic, the school, and water. I'm really excited. I've also learned the Zambian art of hitching a ride, which, while it may take a while to get a ride, is still pretty awesome. Nothing like riding through mountains in the back of a pickup truck.
We've entered the home stretch of training. Two more weeks of classes, then tests at the beginning of the next week, and swear-in in three weeks. I'm so ready to be done and get to my village. I miss you all lots and hope you all are doing well. I'm gonna end a lot of emails/posts with that, but its true.

2 comments:

gene said...

I enjoy reading your updates.
gene

hulag said...

Hi there friend! I am a blog reader from the Philippines. I am happy to found your interesting site. It is really worth visiting.