Monday, December 17, 2007

My screensaver just popped up. I have it set so that my screensaver is one of those photo collage things where your pictures randomly pop up. Pictures of Sydney Harbor, camping in Michigan, my brother's graduation, U2 in Auckland, the My Morning Jacket concert at Foellinger last year, Fraser Island in Queensland, my friend Packy's 22nd birthday party, family holidays, downtown Melbourne, views of Hobart from the top of Mt. Wellington, Cradle Mt. National Park, friends from school, the sting ray that I saw in the Melbourne aquarium the same day one killed Steve Irwin, our former dog, and so on.
When I look at my photos they make me all nostalgic for being a tired, none-too-clean world traveler with a bag on my shoulder, camera, journal, iPod and book inside. Since being back in the states for the last year my camera hasn't seen a lot of action. Taking pictures isn't something you just naturally do, and just having a camera doesn't help. It's a habit or discipline that has to be developed. I guess I leave the camera alone if I don't feel like something big is happening. When I was standing in front of the Sydney Opera House for the first time, or when I was hiking up mountains, the camera was always out. But when the most exciting part of your day isn't climbing mountains, but going to class or work, it's hard to justify capturing the memory forever. I'm looking forward to Feb., when big things will be happening again, and I'm sure I'll take a lot of pictures. In the meantime, my goal is to get used to taking pictures of ordinary things. Last weekend I went with my parents to see my brother at school, and while we were there we took a picture of us, the first picture of the four of us taken in several years. It was nothing momentous, not a life changing experience, but I'm glad we took it, because I know I'll have a picture of my family to take to Africa with me. It's those pictures that I'm sure will make me nostalgic for home in the midst of my adventures abroad.

No comments: